Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Fundraisers, Eating, Eyes Drops and probably more..

I will begin by saying that the 2nd Annual Lots of Love for Landon Golf Event was a success and we are so thankful to so many people. I will include more information when we have a final amount raised and pictures to share. It was great!! I was thinking today as I watched Landon sit at his picnic table in the back yard eating his lunch how proud I am of him, but also how sad I feel at times that as normal and healthy as he seems it is just a bit more complicated. I have posted a lot in the past about our struggles in getting him to eat. We so desperately wanted to sit at the table or go to a restaurant and for Landon to eat with us. And now he does! It was a nice day today so we played outside for a while and ate lunch at the picnic table. Landon sat with his plate in front of him including macaroni and cheese, lettuce with Ranch dressing and strawberries. He ate every bit of what was on his plate and finished it off with apple juice. This is not unusual for lunch and dinner, although like any other kid, he has great meals and some not so great. Yes, like any other kid. I feel like Landon eats as well now as his peers. He probably doesn't snack like many of his peers do because generally he has a good lunch and a good dinner. Breakfast is tough- he sometimes will have a few bites of scrambled eggs but generally he isn't interested in having breakfast. But it made me think, I wish that's all it took- to be just like the other kids, for him to not require the calories that he gets from 24oz of toddler formula. I still shoot that formula through a syringe, 2oz at a time, several times throughout the day. And today I thought- if I only gave him mac n cheese, it would have had more calories than the salad and strawberries. It's another struggle. Do I offer healthy feeds that don't contain a lot of calories in hopes that he will develop a healthy diet in which he eats a variety of food or do I not worry about that now and focus on getting the calories in him and getting him off the formula. My mama instinct tells me to get over the fact that we still need to give him this formula- yes, get over it, Lauren! It's more important that he eats, tries a variety of food and eats healthy foods with great nutritional value. On to the eye drops. It's getting easier. He is consistently getting them 3 times a day. Today I had to give them to his teddy bear, myself, daddy (when he came home) and then to Landon last. Daddy was told to choose a prize from the prize bag after he got his drops- not sure why this wasn't offered to myself or teddy. I have to work to open his eye to get the drops in and he screeches and then gets down when we are done, picks his prize and plays with it. He's not really even crying anymore- just squeezing his eyes shut and trying to hold onto my hand as I do it. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing. You should see me at the eye doctor's office when they try to shoot that air into my eye for the glaucoma test (I think that's what they are testing?). Nothing in the world makes me more anxious (except getting my eye brows waxed)- okay I digress.. So that's about it... I will post a link to a video that Jimmy and I are working on that will display pictures taken at the golf event.

No comments:

Post a Comment