Monday, July 15, 2013

Is He Ready?

Today is the day... I have been thinking about potty training Landon for quite some time now. I made a few half attempts way before he was ready to be potty trained. At some point I felt like he was behind in most of his milestones so I thought it would be wonderful if he was potty trained early. I tried, but the moment I put him on the potty and he got a sad look on his face, I stopped immediately. I couldn't push it. Which I do believe was the right decision. I totally get that kids take control over things that they can which includes eating and using the potty. That's why this eating thing with Landon, or lack of, has been frustrating.. We've had to be so careful about not making eating, and now potty, a battle. And I have to say that Mr. Landon does what he wants to do, when he wants to do it, unless there is a consequence- this is my dilemma! I have talked to friends, doctors, therapists about ways to go about doing this.. And from their suggestions, have created my own plan. We have no where to go until Thursday evening of this week. I figure if it's a success, or a bust, I will know by Thursday so can decide what to do when we go to dinner Thursday night. So here is the plan... I put together a basket that has toys that Landon can only play with when he is sitting on the potty and before his nap today we selected some books and put them in a basket. He loves reading so I think reading will keep him on the potty for a bit. We put out the little seat that you can put on the regular toilet if he wants to sit on the big potty and his little potty chair in case he wants to use the little potty (he chose where to put the little potty). We were at Rite Aid the other day and he wanted a pack of m&ms. We bought a few packs and I told him that there were for when he uses the potty. So, along with a couple of lollipops, they are in a bowl. I have a sticker chart hanging in the bathroom so he will put a sticker on the chart and get an m&m if he actually eliminates on the potty. I'm debating on whether or not to give him stickers for each step (telling me he has to go, sitting on the potty etc).. If it doesn't go so well, I might. But, he is already getting stickers for getting eye drops so I feel like they may lose their value. If this goes well today, I will decide how many stickers he needs to get before we get something really cool that he wants. I have to admit that I'm not very confident. Landon pees a lot because he has Fanconi Syndrome and his bowel movements are a little inconsistent so I'm just not sure how much control he has over that. I actually am having a lot of anxiety about doing this. I don't like doing things if I'm not sure if they'll work and potty training isn't necessarily something that you slowly work towards. But, I have to get over myself here and take a chance. If Landon is not ready, it's okay, and it doesn't mean that I'm wrong or that I failed. I still have a hard time seeing him as a big boy. I never give Landon enough credit and I try to remind myself of that. So we'll see how it goes.. Wish us luck!

1 comment: