Thursday, February 13, 2014

Rules are Rules

My boys rough house. I grew up with a sister and we didn't do much of that so this is foreign territory for me. Landon has had his share of visits to time out for moving past rough housing and pushing or hitting his brother. Jordan is an "in your face" kind of kid but it's not ok for them to try to hurt one another. Today I was in the kitchen preparing lunch and heard Landon cry, a real cry, an I'm hurt cry. I went to check and Landon came to me really upset. I cuddles him for a bit before he could settle enough to tell me what happened. Jordan hit him on the cheek with a wooden fire truck. For Landon's benefit, I told Jordan that it's not ok to hit and that he hurt Landon. He grinned reminding me that he doesn't understand. It was too late to address it at that point but I wanted Landon to see me address Jordan like I do him. Landon told me that Jordan should sit in time out. I explained that he doesn't understand but Landon insisted and suggested the high chair to keep him still. Ok, I will go with it. So, I sat Jordan in his seat and told him why he was in time out. Landon wasn't done. "Mommy, the timer," he said. Of course.. So today, Jordan had his first time out and enjoyed every moment of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment