Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Cystinosis, what?

Happy Summer Friends! These past couple of months have been pretty eventful! We went from celebrating a special little boy's 4th birthday to our first cruise to our 3rd Annual Lots of Love for Landon Golf Outing! There were close to 100 golfers at the event that was organized by two of my awesome brother in laws, Jason and Jason, along with our great friend Brad. These guys worked super hard to make it a success and that it was... The event raised over $17,000! Woohoo!!! Each year the events get better and better because we learn so much each time- I also speak of the Halloween party that we have in November. It felt well organized and we have more volunteers each year. Landon and Jordan were present the whole day thanks to the watchful eyes of their grandparents. Landon is becoming much more comfortable in front of people and around people so can be quite a little ham now. Landon had an appointment with his nephrologist a couple of weeks ago. His electrolytes looked great and were within a normal, healthy range. He is growing beautifully and she had nothing but good things to say. I learned today that his cystine level was .85 which is good because we want this number to stay under 1, but it has been .4 so for me, it didn't feel as good. A cool thing, I may have mentioned this, is that we have not increased any of his supplements or stomach medications in a very long time which is great because he is growing and it would make sense to have to increase the dose but we have not had to which indicates his good health. Cystagon will have to be increased as he grows so an increase does not mean anything bad for his health. I was told that Landon is on the higher end of the recommendation for his dose which is perfectly okay with me. I have been told by some parents with older kids that we should put Landon on the highest dose of Cystagon that he can tolerate and fortunately, Landon has not had any trouble tolerating the higher dose for his weight. If we increase, the new dose will be just slightly above what the recommendation is so Landon's doctor gave me the option of keeping him at his current dose or increasing and seeing how it goes. Her concern is not about side effects but how well he will tolerate it. I decided to give the higher dose a try but not to push it too much. So, we'll see how it goes. I learned from a friend that .4 is the level that someone who is a carrier of Cystinosis would have (Jimmy and I), so to have his level there makes me feel pretty happy. Hopefully we can get it back there. I have to tell you that my thoughts and challenges lately are more about the usual challenges of being a parent and worries that come along with that than Cystinosis. Lately, the challenging areas of life involve weaning Jordan from that darn bottle before nap and bed time and keeping him out of the refrigerator, garbage can and toilet; and handling the battles of cleaning up, using kind words and listening with Landon. I am grateful for this, although I may have to be reminded how good life is when I'm battling with children about taking naps and not destroying a room the moment I walk into another. I think we are in a transition from being parents of babies to being parents of little boys, of kids. It seems to a whole new territory, but I have to say that there are a whole lots of laughs and messages to Jimmy while he is at work that say, "Days like today make me happy to head off to work this evening," and "Dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far... far, far from here.." (Forest Gump if you didn't know). They are super cute though! Jordan is imitating a lot of words (thank you is my favorite) and loves to sing! I have the cutest video of him singing along with me to Old McDonald Had a Farm. He is officially a walker now and looks look a little old man running those chunky lil' legs around the house. He is just as kissable and lovey as they come! Landon is such a cool, little guy to be around! We have great conversation and I'm so impressed by what he remembers and how he interprets things. My explanations to questions now aren't as simple and brief as they used to be and he understands what I'm talking about. He is getting to be so big but still likes to be held and cuddled. The other day he told me that he has a secret for me and then whispers "I love you." He followed that by telling me that he misses me when I go to work. I wanted to tell him that mommy will never go to work again! I love watching him with his friends. Today he asked me who my friends are and I found myself identifying my friends by who their child is... Both boys notice and remember things just like Jimmy does which worries me because I realize that I probably don't stand a chance against them individually and certainly not as a whole. The dynamics in our family are starting to settle in and I'm learning that they are all either loving me like crazy or are teaming up to torment me. Either way, mommy gets a lot of attention in our household. I am truly a luck lady... =)

1 comment: