Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Our "big" boy and toddler antics!

It's a beautiful day here in Pittsburgh!! Landon is napping and I really want to go for a nice long walk!! I hope that this next hour or two flies by so that we can have some fun!

So, in the mean time, here are so updates. Landon had an evaluation for Physical Therapy the other day. None of the doctors have expressed any concern about him not walking yet, but Jimmy and I decided to be proactive and have him evaluated and work with him a little bit. The therapist was pleased with a lot of his development. She watched him cruise along the table and choose different toys to play with. He flirted with her a bit until she tried to lay him down on his back. He HATES having to lay down. Diaper changes consist of two minutes of him telling me off and trying to get away. I told her not to take it personally! The appointment occurred right at nap time, which all you parents know, is just a parents worst nightmare. But overall, he did well. We are going to go to PT once a week to work on getting him to stand independently, walking, going up and down stairs. I'm excited about it. I think it'll be a fun appointment to go to and at least we'll know that we are encouraging and supporting him in reaching these new milestones. And don't worry, we didn't schedule the next appointment for nap time!

Today we went to Landon's pedatrician for a weight check. We have been going weekly and last week we were pretty bummed because he didn't gain any weight. Well guess what?! He is up 5.8oz in one week. Go Bubba!! He now weighs 16lbs, 15.8oz. C'monnn 17lbs!! It's exciting to look at the growth chart because he isn't too far off the mark. And what we have to our advantage now is that kiddos at this age are usually slowing down a bit so it gives him an opportunity to catch up! He actually can wear a few 12 month outfits. I have to admit that it was a little depressing to look at all of the adorable short outfits in his closet that he got for his birthday and knowing that he wasn't big enough to fit into them.

So of course, Brooke (Landon's pediatrician) was pleased with his growth, but she was also pleased with his little toddler antics. He decided that he was over being in the room so began to squirm and yell and cry and kick his feet. I told her that he has become a bit more "tantrumy." It's not a word, I know.. She just loved it. I'm glad someone does! She said that it is perfectly normal and that he is getting a taste of independence and desires it. How's that for looking through rose colored glasses? =0) All joking aside, I have to turn my head and laugh when throws these little fits because it seems like I just shook his world over something like telling him that he can't pull on the blinds or play with my sunglasses. You'd never know that this child has larger issues to be concerned about!

He is still having the belly issues that I mentioned in the last post, but I spoke with the nephrologist and the GI doctor and we have a plan to change the medication for his phosphorus and we are extending his feeding time 15 minutes so maybe it'll be easier on his belly. There is still not talk of weaning from the feeding tube at all, but that's okay. We will continue to encourage him to eat and hopefully once he gains a couple more pounds, we can consider it.

I also recieved lots of feedback, after the last post, about switching to cloth diapers. I think we are going to try it out. I know a few people who love cloth diapers and who are excited to show us the ropes. I'm looking forward to it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment