Sunday, August 21, 2011

Landon continues to amaze us. He is our little copy cat, right now. I have been doing some baby sign with him for a while now but he never signed anything to me. Well, he is now signing "more" and "all done!" It is too cute!! He also has repeated so many words over the past week. Now, he may have only said the word once and of course he won't repeat it when prompted, but he is definitely saying new words. I am sooo proud of him!

He also climbed up our whole flight of steps today (minus the top two because he was very agitated with me by that point). He initiated the first few and then yelled at me as he made his way up the rest of them. He has climbed the flight of steps at Jason and Jamie's (Jimmy's brother and his soon to be wife) house but I think our steps are a bit steeper so it takes more effort.

He has been having bowel movements more now and has not vomited in a couple of weeks. I'm a little hesitant to ramble off all of this good news, but I can't help it!

This week Landon has Physical Therapy, a weight check and an appointment with Genetics. We learned the results of his DNA test which concluded that there is deletion on one side of the gene and a change on the other side. So basically, one of us (Jimmy and I) have a missing piece of that particular gene and the other had a gene that started off normal and then got messed up (yes, I just said got messed up!) towards the end. We don't know which is which and would have to have our own individual blood test done to find out. If insurance covers it we probably will and if not, we probably won't. It doesn't matter much for us. We know that we have a 25% chance of having a child with Cystinosis. But it may be helpful information for my sister and Jimmy's brother since both plan to have children at some point. I was told that the sibling of the person with the deletion may want to be tested but it might not be necessary for the sibling of the person who has a change in the gene. I have no idea why, which reminds me to make a list of questions for the geneticist. I promise I will provide information that makes a little bit of sense after we meet with the geneticist.

At Landon's last weight check, he was 16lbs, 14oz which means that he gained 4oz in 1 week. Yayy!! I hope that he hits 17lbs this week (fingers crossed).

As far as fundraising, we have a date and venue for our first big event! Details will be announced once some things are figured out but we are sooooo excited!!! I cannot believe how many amazing and kind hearted people we have in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment