Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Little Setbacks

Today Landon had his 18 month check up. I was very anxious about it. He hasn't been weighed in a whole month and is eating now and I knew that if he didn't gain much weight, that I would be pretty upset. Everyone kept saying that it seems like he is bigger. I talked myself into that, but I admit that I wasn't surprised to hear that he only gained 3oz in a month. His 12 months clothes are still a little bit on him. I can see that there's no difference, but I wanted to! So, a 3oz gain for most 18 month olds (in one month) is pretty good, but Landon still has catching up to do. After leaving the office and thinking, I thought about the fact that I haven't been quite as consistent about him getting each and every feed. If we have something going on, I haven't been too concerned about him missing a feed. I increased his night time amount a little bit, and he is eating some now so I thought that it wasn't a big deal. I learned my lesson. In addition to sticking with his regular feeding schedule (no matter what the day is like), his pediatrician also suggested that I add another ounce or so of formula to each feed. She thinks that the fact that he is becoming more active might have something to do with it too. He needs more calories.

So, I have to say that I was pretty upset. I mentioned in another post that I seem to have a difficult time with even the smallest setbacks when he is doing well. I felt it again today. So, I was standing in the kitchen feeling pretty crappy and Landon began to cry. I told him that I cannot pick him up because I was preparing his meds and feed. He gets a big smile on his face and does the sign for "eat." Wow, Landon sure knows his mommy well! He knew just what I needed! I just love that little boy. I felt better after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment