Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Appreciation..

One thing that Cystinosis has given me is a strong appreciation for everything Landon does. Now I do believe that most parents treasure each and every milestone that there child experiences. But, I'm good for looking to the next thing, all of the time, and Cystinosis has taught me to live in the moment and appreciate everything. Would I beam with pride every time Landon took a bite of food if he didn't have Cystinosis? Probably not. Would I giggle every time I watched him walk around? Maybe, but it's different, at least for me.
I chose to write about this topic, at this time, because an incredible man was taken from this world last Thursday night. Our neighbor and friend, Steve "Bubs" Palumbo was killed in a car accident leaving behind his beautiful wife, three children who are 18, 5 and 2 and so many friends and family members who don't know what life will be like now that he isn't here. And, this is a man, who absolutely appreciated everything in his life. He was the most optimistic, positive person I've ever met in my entire life. "How's little man?" I keep hearing him say that over and over again. When Landon was first diagnosed with Cystinosis, our neighbors were an incredible support to us. We can home to find a collection of gift cards and a sweet card sitting on our dining room table. We had already begun forming friendships with them, but Jimmy and I never expected such an incredible group of people to live right down the street from us. They organized a fundraiser, to our surprise, to raise money for Landon. They supported us in our effort to raise money for the Cystinosis Research Foundation. We knew that we could ask them for anything and they'd be there. I will never forget the nights spent at the park, on our street. Even as Bubs kept an eye on his two young children, you felt like you had his full attention when talking to him. He loved life, he loved his family and friends and nothing was more important. He was 41 years old when he died, absolutely too young to be taken, but he appreciated every moment, every person and every action. I swear to you, after every interaction that Jimmy and I had with Bubs, we commented that he is such a good, genuine and incredible guy. He will be missed more than I think any of us can even imagine. I learned so much from him in the short period of time that I called him a friend. From now on, every time I think of Bubs, I will kiss "little man" and smile because that's what he stood for- Love and happiness.

We have our future plans, as far as fundraisers, for the Cystinosis Research Foundation. But, supporting and fundraising for Bub's children is priority right now. I have something that I am working on right now through the Thirty-One business in which I am a consultant. Please contact me by e-mail (LaurenLHartz@gmail.com), through Facebook or by phone if you want to help.

And please, cherish every moment with your children, your spouse/significant other, your friends.. Bubs certainly did..

No comments:

Post a Comment