Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Laughing

We all have gifts, talents, skills etc.. I believe that one of mine is my ability to laugh at myself. I am pretty hard on myself, but at the same time, I don't take myself too seriously, at least I don't think I do! Example #1- In my last post, I talked a bit about the struggles with Landon's cold and teething. It had been somewhat of a rough day.. Only hours after I published that last post, I cut my thumb pretty badly opening a can. Fortunately, Landon's Occupational Therapist was at the house along with my mother-in-law. The whole situation is kind of out of the ordinary. No one typically hangs around at our house during Landon's therapy sessions. He is easily distracted so I try to avoid it if possible, but I invited my mother-in-law to stay thinking that it wouldn't hurt (lucky for me!). I was distracted during the session and was making chili. I usually give 100% of my attention to the sessions, but it was pretty relaxed so I went on with what I was doing before the therapist got there. Anyway, I had Landon in one arm because I had just gotten him out of his highchair after he decided that he was no longer going to eat, and I opened the can with the other. It did not cut in two spots so being the intelligent person I always am, I bent the lid and my thumb went slipped. Ouch! It resulted in a visit to the ER (thanks to Sandy, his OT, for taking me!), 8 stitches, a DPT shot(is that the order the letters go in?)and a $60 co-pay. *sigh* Ok- I'm kind of laughing at myself but I am still pretty annoyed that I was so careless!

Maybe that wasn't the greatest example of how I can laugh at myself. Ok- here's another...I decided to take Landon to Century III Mall today so that I could "quickly" run in and grab a gift for someone that they were holding for me. If you are a parent, you know that you cannot quickly run into a store with a toddler. Silly me! My quick trip went a little like this.. Jump out of the car, put Landon's hat on, unbuckle him from the car seat, put his coat on (since he can't have it on while in the car seat), put his hat back on (he always takes it off the first time I put it on), grab the diaper bag/my purse (since I've wised up and don't carry both everywhere), run in the store, take Landon's hat and coat off (God forbid he wear it any longer than he has to), stuff it in the bag, ask the saleswoman for my purchase; pull his coat, hat, book and diapers out of the bag to find my wallet, SHOOT! I forgot my coupon in the car, load everything back in the bag and tell the saleswoman I will be back, run back out to the car (without Landon's coat or hat on); dig under the coat, hat, book, diapers and wallet to get my keys, grab the coupon from my purse, run back into the store, give the saleswoman my coupon as I set Landon and the diaper bag on the ground in front of me, Landon empties almost every item out of the diaper bag, I am told that I have to use my Macy's credit card if I want to use that coupon, I say no and explain that I do not want a Macy's credit card even if it will save me money on this purchase and I can pay it off in the store, thank the saleswoman and take the bag from her, put all of the items that Landon removed back in the diaper bag, run back out of the car (without Landon's coat or hat on)... As all of this was going on, as I was running back and forth, all I could think about was how insane I must have looked and I had to laugh...

No comments:

Post a Comment