Friday, February 24, 2012

What a helpful little boy I have.. He is so funny and wants to be such a big boy. This evening, it started with his bath... I was getting him dressed and he automatically reaches for the cream that I use around his Mic Key button and a Q tip. We put a little bit of cream on the Q tip and he begins to rub it on his belly. He finishes, gets up and throws his towel in the hamper (without me asking him to). He begins playing a bit while I get his night time meds together. There were toys on the floor so I asked him if he wanted to put his toys in the basket- he does. Well, he put some of them in until Daddy went into the hallway closet and he rushed over hoping to snag a shoe or two out of the closet. We sat on the floor in his room and he chose several books to read. I suggested one or two and he quickly told me no as he shook his head from side to side. He chose his books and then sat on his Elmo chair. He no longer wants to sit on my lap in the rocking chair. After reading, I gave him Tylenol (I think he's getting his 2 year molars) and he insisted on putting the cap on and putting the medicine back in the box. I put him in his crib and he again, insisted on helping me put his meds into his tube. He then handed me the syringes, turned on his Sleep Sheep and laid down. I'm afraid that he will no longer need me for much at all by the time he is school age. He is such a character!

So what is going on with Landon? Well, I received a call from the Physician's Assistant that we visited with in Endocrinology. His thyroid levels are in a normal range now since he started the medicine so he said to continue doing what we are doing and that we will go back in 3 months. Good news!

He had a weight check on Tuesday. You know how we have been waiting not so patiently for him to hit 20lbs? He was 19lbs, 14oz! Can you believe it? His pediatrician and the nurse were even bummed!! I really can't be disappointed though. He lost 6 or 7oz when he was sick so actually put about 7oz back on in less than 2 weeks. I was so ready for a 20lb celebration this weekend!! Oh well- we'll wait until his 2 year check up so will be able to celebrate his birthday and 20lbs!

Here is some more good news. I don't even remember the last time Landon vomited aside from the few spit ups when he was sick. He used to vomit daily and we had to experiment quite a bit with his feeds and how much he could take in at a time and at what rate. I think he tolerates the medicine incredibly well!! I feel so blessed that he is doing as well as he is..

In more news, we now have a new Occupational Therapist. I may, or may not have mentioned, that Landon's former OT took a job and moved to Japan! Our main issue now is that Landon stores food in the side of his mouth. He has an interest in eating and asks for food, but much of the food stays in the side of his mouth and I usually have to dig it out. His new OT said that she doesn't think that he has a problem chewing or swallowing. She feels that he is not hungry because of the amount of milk he gets, but likes the food and wants to taste it so he puts it in his mouth but just doesn't swallow. She said that he is doing everything that she would be working with him on right before trying to get him to eat. He doesn't have a problem with textures, he isn't afraid to explore and play with food.. We just need to get him eating. Now, you'd think an easy solution would be to cut back on the milk and he would start eating more- that's what I thought (remember my experiments?). I guess it's not quite so simple. Once he reaches a weight that his doctors (primarily the Gastroenterologist since she is handling his feeds) are comfortable with then we will begin to wean and see how it goes. Twenty pounds used to seem like the magic number, but my sense is that it has taken so long to get here and we don't want to risk him dropping weight so we might still have time to go before we are ready for that. I hate the feeding tube, but I love what it does for Landon. He is thriving and I know that much of that is because he is getting all of the calories and nutrients that he needs.

Well, I think that is all for now. We have a fun filled weekend ahead of us beginning with Kidapalooza at the Convention Center tomorrow! Landon loves Barney and he will be there doing a sing along. I love this age!

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy that he hasn't been puking! I know that was really stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a big helper! I found a love and logic book at the library titled, "Parenting Children With Health Issues" and loved it. I highly recommend it if you're looking for something to read. That's awesome that Landon is fine with textures. Sam always needs a drink of water to help him wash his food down a little at a time. Might help :)

    ReplyDelete