Wednesday, April 25, 2012

"It's not funny Landon..."

Two posts in one day? I'm on a roll, right?! Ok, discipline... Landon's Occupational Therapist was here this afternoon and Landon was in rare form. The poor kid is still feeling the effects of his most recent cold so hasn't been eating all that well. He is still get the same amount of formula- thank God he is tolerating it and I didn't have to cut back on the amount that he gets at all over the past week. Anyway, I presented Landon with several different kinds of food in hopes that he would eat something. He had pasta with marinara- nope, shredded cheese, nope- grapes, nope... He put bits of all of the options in his mouth but would chew and it spit it out. Then he started throwing his food on the floor. I, and the therapist, gave him a stern warning and told him that it is not funny and not okay to throw food. I then told him that he would have to pick up what he threw once he was done eating. I do it this way because I don't want to interrupt feeding and distract him (despite him creating his own distractions. So he finished, I got him out of his chair and he picked up a grape and instead of throwing it away, he put it in his mouth and walked away. I directed him back to the dining room and told him that he had to pick up the cracker that he threw. He then takes the grape from his mouth and throws it on the floor. I told him that he had one more chance to pick his food up or he would go in his room for a nap right now, without reading stories... He proceeded to throw himself on the floor. So, I picked him up, took him to his room and put him in his crib. He screamed for a few minutes and then fell asleep. I am getting a peek at the trials of being a parent. My sweet, little compliant boy tests me over and over again throughout the day... He is very much aware of what he's doing. It's not simply a little boy who wants to explore. He does things that he knows he is not allowed to with a big smile on his face and a laugh. He stands up on his chair and smiles at me then laughs when I remove the chair; he lays on the floor in the kitchen and drinks straight from the dog's bowl. When I tell him no, pick him up and tell him to stay out of the kitchen, he runs to the living room screaming and laughing. My response to him, many times throughout the day, is "that is not funny." It all makes me giggle now (well usually...) but I have to admit that I am a little fearful of how this little guy is going to challenge me when he's older!

No comments:

Post a Comment